Monday, April 18, 2016

Avanelle (Ava) Belle Barrett


I actually really love Ava's birth story.  This only thing sad about it is it went So fast! I really enjoy labor and giving birth.  I felt like I didn't get a chance to enjoy that time before giving birth because she came super fast! 
So it was just like any other Friday in June.  I still had a few weeks til my due date and it was ridiculously hot so we headed to the pool.  We were there for about two hours and I felt great.  We met up with some friends.  We were swimming and chatting and everything seemed normal.  As I was gathering the kids together to leave I had a couple of really hard contractions.  I didn't think much of it because I have contractions for about half of my pregnancy. We left the pool around noon.  When we got home I had a few more really hard contractions and I started to think this might be it.  I decided to take a shower just in case this was the real thing.  I continued to have contractions as I was getting ready.  This whole time I was messaging my mom and sisters and they were telling me to "GET TO THE HOSPITAL!!!"  but I was in no hurry because I didn't want to get there and only be dilated 2cm and be sent home.  So finally I called my friend and asked her to take the kids cause I was pretty sure I was in labor.  So she came over and picked them up like around 1pm.

I was keeping Brad updated since he was downtown for work which is about a 35 to 45 minute drive.  So I packed a little bag and headed to the hospital.  By this time I knew I was definitely in labor.  My contractions for about 3-5 minutes apart and Super painful.  As I was driving to the hospital I was so grateful that every time I got another contraction I was stopped at a red light.  It took me a few minutes to get up to labor and delivery because I had to stop a few times for a contraction to pass.  Once I got up there I told them I am pretty sure I am in labor.  I really think they did not take me serious.  I was having horrible contractions and they were just sitting there talking to me and having me fill out paperwork.  They finally got me to room after about 5 minutes (which felt like an eternity) I got changed into my robe real quick and they got me hooked up to monitors.  The nurse came in a couple minutes later and I told her I was having very painful contractions like every 2-3 minutes and I felt like I needed to push so she decided to check me real quick.  
Seriously, the look on her face was hilarious!  She looks at me Shocked and tells me I was about 9cm dilated!!! WHAT?!?!?!  My first question was "Do I still get an epidural?"  Then I quickly called Brad and told him to get his butt to the hospital!!! So he was on his way by about 2pm.  And he finally arrived to the hospital around 2:40.  
I do have to say the nurses were awesome about getting my epidural in Super quick.  I just remember with every contraction I was breathing so hard and my whole body was shaking.  The nurse kept saying that I must have a high pain tolerance because most ladies are screaming right about now.  And the lady next door was screaming Loud! So I was feeling pretty good once the epidural kicked in.
Once I was completely ready I pushed a few times and just like that little miss Avanelle Belle Barrett was here at 3:30 pm. 
It was a pretty crazy and hectic day and really fun to think back on.  She has been a great baby.  She had a  rough first three or four months.  She just needed to adjust to life and her new body.  She loves her family and gets so excited anytime she sees any of her siblings and loves her mommy and daddy. We just love her so much! 















No comments: